Anchorage 60.0 °F
Fairbanks 48.0 °F
Juneau 53.0 °F
Chugiak Fire And Home Safety
Increase in Home Fires Prompts Officials to Warn About Space Heater Usage
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A woman has died in a fire that destroyed a Chugiak cabin.
As temperatures drop, purchases of space heaters and stand alone heat sources increase.
Officials warn to check for frayed wiring, clean electrical outlets and chimneys,and make home safety a habit.
"Practice your fire safety plans, practice your escape routes, take a head count so when the firefighters do get here, we know if everybody is out and who we are looking for,: said Chugiak Fire Chief Virginia McMichael.
Anchorage Fire Captain Mike Stumbaugh says there tends to be more fire response during the holidays, "People are inside more and sometimes when you mix smoking or drinking with these elements, accidents can happen."
Capt. Stumbaugh recommends keeping a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
Portions of this article contributed by The Associated Press.