Anchorage 58.0 °F
Fairbanks 51.0 °F
Juneau 55.0 °F
Apartment fire causes 500K in damages
ANCHORAGE-Anchorage Sands Apartment complex caught fire Monday evening. Initial reports said heavy smoke was come from the top floor of one of the three-story apartment building that's part of a complex in the city's Spenard neighborhood.
The building that burned contained 16 units, eight of which were involved in the fire. One resident said he was sleeping with his infant son when he heard panick coming from outside. "We woke up to screaming and yelling and right outside the window was a big ball of flame coming out there," said Kyle Carpenter, a resident in the 300 building.
Deputy Chief Jim Vignola says the fire was under control by about 6 p.m.Officals estimate $500,000 in damages.
The Red Cross is taking care of residents who had to evacuate at the Spenard Rec Center. A temporary haven was set up at the neighboring Aquarian Charter School. PTO President Laura Butcher said they were just starting their Monday Meeting when she noticed several people texting they would be late. "Then we realize the fire we're hearing about on the radio is right next to the school."
Butcher says instantly they postponed the meeting. All of us here are parents and we're seeing these young kids in nothing more than what they had on so we instantly think okay what do they need. What size diapers? Formula? It was about seven minutes and we had people going to Carrs to buy these items," she said.
Associated Press contributed to portions of this article.