Probable paralytic shellfish case prompts reminder

Tools

by Your Alaska Link News Team

Alaska health officials say a probable case of paralytic shellfish poisoning serves as a reminder of the ever-present risk in recreationally harvested shellfish.

The current case involves razor clams and possibly butter clams that were harvested Sunday in Clam Gulch.

Officials say the patient began experiencing symptoms of the poisoning about four hours after ingestion. Department of Health spokesman Greg Wilkinson says the stricken man has since improved.

According to officials, early signs of the poisoning can include tingling of the tongue and lips. Symptoms can progress to tingling of toes and fingers, followed by loss of control of legs and arms, as well as difficulty breathing.

Officials say death can also result.

Officials say PSP cannot be cooked or cleaned from shellfish. Commercial shellfish is considered safe.