Anchorage 12.0 °F
Fairbanks -18.0 °F
Juneau 28.0 °F
AFD Respond to Fourplex Fire in South Anchorage, Mattress Causes Flames to Spread
A fire in a South Anchorage fourplex leaves one unit damged. Officials say a mattress caught on fire and the attempt to remove the burning bed caused flames to spread.
ANCHORAGE- A fire in a South Anchorage fourplex leaves one unit damged. Officials say a mattress caught on fire and the attempt to remove the burning bed caused flames to spread.
"The way they bellow, there's an air space inside.So, the way you move the mattress, it's going to catch fire and continue that fire process even more so as you move it," said James Dennis, AFD Battalion Chief.
14 units from the Anchorage fire department responded to the fire shortly before 2 p.m. Friday.
The fire is contained to one unit occupied by Robert Hernandez and his roommate. Hernandez was at work when he got the call his apartment was on fire," I just lost everything. How I get it back? I don't know that's on me."
The first responders inside the apartment were able to save Hernandez's two dogs, Rocco and Tasty. The apartment owner says those are his kids and his happy to have them by his side after the blaze.
Officials say they used little water to prevent water damage to the unit and the apartment does not appear to be a total loss.