Assembly Passes Red Stripe Law

by Mike Ford

The Anchorage Assembly passed a law that will require one hundred percent compliance checking I.D.'s at liquor stores in Anchorage. The new ordinance is an effort to keep habitual drinkers that have already had at least two felony D.U.I's from purchasing alcohol.

Liquor Store operators will be looking for people that display a red stripe on their Alaska Drivers License. That stripe indicates either two felony D.U.I's or a domestic abuse situation involving alcohol.

Assemblyman Paul Honeman was one of the original authors of the measure and had sought to extend it to bars and restaurants too. Support for an all inclusive industry standard was not there, so proponents settled for package stores at this time.

"We'll take package stores for now and we'll assess the issue regarding bars and perhaps even restaurants at a later date"
said Honeman.

Opponents say it is just another rule people will get around."Prohibition didn't work, our underage drinking rules don't work our D-U-I rules don't work people are still doing it all, so an I.D. Check of some form or another is just a waste of time" stated Anchorage resident Richard Brown.
The final vote was 10-1 with only assemblyman Bill Starr opposing the regulation which goes into effect July 1st of this year.

You have indicated this comment should be removed.

The comment has been submitted for review. Thank you .

Common Sense said on Wednesday, Nov 5 at 2:10 PM

Since when do people have to read up on the states liquor laws. I travel a lot and I don't study the places I travel to about their liquor laws. YOU ACCEPT THAT YOU GUYS HAVE THE PROBLEM, GET LIFE. OH, HOW MUCH DOES YOUR BIG JOB PAY........

Common Sense said on Wednesday, Nov 5 at 2:03 PM

Hey Liquor Store Clerk, Maybe you should learn how to do your job right. Maybe go back to school, learn how to read, now your geography....not everybody has to carry ID at ALL TIMES....if are not buying anything. You are the ones that cause your own grief. Maybe you need more training...

liqour store clerk said on Monday, Jul 22 at 11:26 AM

grow up and accept it-study the laws here before you come here-you are all getting mad at the clerks for doing their job-you guys dont understand its our jobs on the line-the end of the day you have yours regardless we arent going to put ours on the line for you not keeping in your possession something every country and state requires-your identification AT ALL TIMES

Winnie Pinter said on Tuesday, May 21 at 5:22 PM

My husband and I came to Anchorage for my "48th" birthday. The same thing happened to us. We were staying at Captain Cook Hotel and walked across the street to the Brownjug liquor store to purchase some liquor. Once we were in the store my husband didn't have his ID with him so I so had my ID. The YOUNG lady assked for my ID and my husbands ID. She wouldn't serve us because he was on camera. WE are from Whitehorse Yukon CANADA...We wouldn't have A RED STRIP on our ID because we are not fron ANCHOAR. You people need to redo your rulesd. We will niver come here again and we are your neighbors. Don't forget how many of you come through Whitehorse YUKON. How would you like feel if we treated the folks from Anchorage like a criminal??? Won't ever come back here. There a lot of us that come here and I will be telling them not buy anything here. Very upset with Anchorage. Have a nice life.

Eric Worthington said on Thursday, Dec 13 at 6:48 PM

I was denied buying alcohol, and so was my wife, because we went in the store together but I didn't have my ID on me so she was going to buy. The clerk denied her saying that she needed to see MY ID too because of the Red Stripe law. What the heck kind of a nanny state (city) did I move too?!

merquet said on Tuesday, Oct 2 at 1:26 AM

a usa passport is adequate ID to purchase alcohol. stupid idea not well thought out and a waste of asstes.

Anonymous said on Tuesday, Dec 20 at 11:45 PM

What about people with out of state ID's, doesn't sound like they thought this one out

DRay said on Tuesday, Nov 22 at 10:13 AM

Regardless to rules passed, and new requirements it will NEVER make a difference. There is too much WIGGLE room in a court of law especially when the criminal is being defended by an attorney. I do believe everyone has a right to fair trial, but guilty is guilty no excuses therefore a defense should not be granted. My point, why paint the ID with a red banner when the fact is the perpetrator has the banner because they've BROKEN THE LAW ALREADY MORE THAN ONCE!

Anonymous said on Wednesday, May 25 at 6:12 PM

Or we will create a venue for black market alcohol.

Mary Wall said on Wednesday, May 25 at 9:15 AM

Will there be some sort of marking on an I.D./Driver's License for people who get caught buying alchohol for minor's as well as buying alchohol for people who have these Red Stripes on their identification. I could definitely see that becoming a problem. Get the chronic offenders as well as the chronic enablers.

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

Coastal Television | AK News, Weather and Sports | and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.