Anchorage 36.0 °F
Fairbanks 5.0 °F
Juneau 35.0 °F
Feds settle with Alaska tribes for underpayments
The federal Indian Health Services has settled 22 claims with Alaska Native health organizations for underpaying for support services.
Reports say the Southcentral Foundation in Anchorage last week settled for $96 million for claims stretching back 17 years.
Other settlements have included
- Arctic Slope Native Association, $6.7 million;
- Ketchikan Indian Corporation, $364,989;
- Bristol Bay Area Health Corp., $25.5 million;
- Maniilaq Association, $25 million, and
- Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp., $39 million.
Settlements are being made by Indian Health Services nationwide to comply with a 2012 Supreme Court ruling.