Historic landmark plaque returned to Shaktoolik

Tools

by Your Alaska Link News Team

A long-missing plaque designating ancient hunting camps near Shaktoolik as a National Historic Landmark has been returned to the community on Alaska's western coast.

Reports say the historic camping ground was discovered in 1948. Artifacts from the site date back 5,000 years.

The site was called Iyatayet, and registered as a landmark 50 years ago. But years later, the plaque disappeared.

It was recently located in the National Park Service office in Fairbanks and has been returned to the Shaktoolik Native Corp.

It will be displayed at the school alongside items from the ancient campground recently returned by California State University, Monterey Bay.

A professor at Portland State University will return to the site next summer to document best ways to preserve what remains from erosion.

Add a comment

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

Coastal Television | AK News, Weather and Sports | and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.