Anchorage 57.0 °F
Fairbanks 50.0 °F
Juneau 52.0 °F
IRS Warns of Phone Scam
Anchorage, AK - The next time you pick-up the phone and it's someone claiming to be the IRS, beware because it could be a scam.
The IRS is warning consumers of an on-going phone scam and says there are five things people need to know.
1. The IRS will never call you about taxes you owe without first mailing you an official notice.
2. The IRS will not demand you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
3. The IRS will never require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
4. The IRS will not ask for credit or debit cards over the phone.
5. The IRS will not threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested.
If you do receive a call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov to find out how to report the situation.