Probable paralytic shellfish case prompts reminder


by Your Alaska Link News Team

Alaska health officials say a probable case of paralytic shellfish poisoning serves as a reminder of the ever-present risk in recreationally harvested shellfish.

The current case involves razor clams and possibly butter clams that were harvested Sunday in Clam Gulch.

Officials say the patient began experiencing symptoms of the poisoning about four hours after ingestion. Department of Health spokesman Greg Wilkinson says the stricken man has since improved.

According to officials, early signs of the poisoning can include tingling of the tongue and lips. Symptoms can progress to tingling of toes and fingers, followed by loss of control of legs and arms, as well as difficulty breathing.

Officials say death can also result.

Officials say PSP cannot be cooked or cleaned from shellfish. Commercial shellfish is considered safe.

Add a comment


Comment: 1000 Characters Left

Coastal Television | AK News, Weather and Sports | and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.