Man Medevaced after being Exposed to Ammonia

A worker on a processor-tender vessel was exposed to ammonia gas while the vessel was tied up on the Sitka Sound Seafoods dock in Sitka

Workers from seafood processors near downtown Sitka walk down Katlian Street after being evacuated Monday morning.

Tools

by Associated Press

SITKA - A worker on a processor-tender vessel was exposed to ammonia gas while the vessel was tied up on the Sitka Sound Seafoods dock in Sitka.
   
The unidentified man was flown to a Seattle hospital for treatment Monday.
   
Fire Chief Dave Miller says the man received "a full blast of ammonia" from a leak of the refrigerant in the hold of the Elgin B.
   
A few other people sought treatment, and others complained their eyes were stinging from the incident.
   
The Elgin B was towed out of the harbor until the gas dissipates. There were no evacuations ordered, but several businesses evacuated workers on their own.

Add a comment

Name:

Comment: 1000 Characters Left

Coastal Television | AK News, Weather and Sports | and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the above comments or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any Public Forum.