Home » Entries posted by Audrey Conklin

Woman illegally sold to couple by doctor as newborn speaks out with new book: 'story isn't just about me'

Woman illegally sold to couple by doctor as newborn speaks out with new book: 'story isn't just about me'

Jane Blasio has spent much of her adult life trying to track down her birth parents after finding out she was trafficked as a newborn by a doctor who operated an illegal abortion clinic in Georgia.Dr. Thomas J. Hicks of the Hicks Clinic — located in McCaysville, along the border of Tennessee — sold scores of babies between the 1940s and 1960s, authorities have determined.One of those peddled babies was Blasio, author of the new book “Taken at Birth,” released earlier this week.
“Taken at Birth” book cover (Credit: Jane Blasio)

Portland shooting leaves at least 8 people injured

Portland shooting leaves at least 8 people injured

An early Saturday shooting in downtown Portland, Oregon, has left at least eight people injured, according to authorities.All victims are being treated, and at least one person has life-threatening injuries after the shooting that occurred at 2:10 a.m. on the 300 block of Southwest 3rd Avenue, the Portland Police Department said in a Saturday morning press release.Officers found multiple people, male and female, injured when they arrived at the scene and initiated lifesaving measures while waiting for paramedics to arrive.OREGON MAN KNOCKS OUT, HOGTIES ACTIVE SHOOTER, ACCORDING TO PORTLAND POLICEThe suspect fled the scene before police were contacted, according to the Portland PD.Authorities are investigating the situation and have closed Southwest 3rd Avenue from Southwest Oak Street to Southwest Washington Street.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPThis is a developing story. Check back for more details.

Hiker found alive after being stranded in Oregon wilderness for 17 nights shares survival story

Hiker found alive after being stranded in Oregon wilderness for 17 nights shares survival story

A 69-year-old hiker who was discovered alive two months ago after being stranded in the Oregon wilderness for 17 nights is now sharing his survival story with the public.Harry Burleigh was reported missing on May 7 when he did not return home from a camping trip near Toketee — an area known for its natural waterfalls — according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department.The Douglas County Search & Rescue team located Burleigh 17 nights later on May 23, the sheriff’s office wrote in a Facebook post.WILDFIRES SPREAD OVER 1M ACRES OF DROUGHT-STRICKEN US”We want to thank our local community, our friends, our family for all the love and the support and the energy and efforts that were brought to bear on this poor pilgrim who went out and got lost,” Burleigh said during a Thursday press briefing in his first time speaking out about his disappearance since he made his way out of the woods, according to the Mail Tribune.Burleigh, whom the Mail Tribune described as an experienced hiker, told the press that he did not implement the “seven Ps” of planning: “Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.”OREGON’S HEATWAVE DEATH TOLL REACHES 116 IN ‘MASS CASUALTY’ EVENTHis 17-day disappearance and the search effort that followed consisting of about 100 volunteers began as an overnight fishing trip, but Burleigh said everything took a wrong turn when he started down a trail that was supposed to be a quick hike and lost his way.Authorities located Burleigh’s makeshift shelter and fishing tackle box on May 16, left him some supplies and left a note asking him to start a fire so they could track him down again.CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APPSgt. Brad O’Dell said in a May 24 statement shared to the department’s Facebook page that finding Burleigh “was the outcome” everyone had “been looking for in this case.””It is because of our determined Search and Rescue Teams and the partnerships we have with other SAR teams from around the state, that Mr. Burleigh has been re-united with his family this evening,” he said. “The Sheriff’s Office wants to thank everyone who was involved in this mission.”

Rep. Crenshaw says military leaders 'prioritizing woke training over actual war fighting' after Navy report

Rep. Crenshaw says military leaders 'prioritizing woke training over actual war fighting' after Navy report

Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas, said Thursday that U.S. military leaders are “prioritizing woke training over actual war fighting” following lawmakers’ investigation into the Navy’s culture.Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark. – along with Crenshaw, a retired Navy SEAL, and fellow Republican Reps. Jim Banks of Indiana and Mike Gallagher of Wisconsin – directed an investigation into Navy culture, following three major incidents between 2016 and 2017 that resulted in the death of 17 sailors. They found that 94% of the sailors interviewed thought the military branch is facing a leadership and culture crisis.”Unfortunately, the findings of our report aren’t surprising,” Crenshaw tweeted. “We’ve known military leaders are prioritizing woke training over actual war fighting. It’s what we constantly hear from service members. It doesn’t make this any less concerning. It’s a threat to national security.”Retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Robert Schmidle and retired Navy Rear Amd. Mark Montgomery prepared the report titled, “A Report on the Fighting Culture of the United States Navy’s Surface Fleet,” conducting long-form interviews with 77 active and retired sailors over the last year — more than half of which said the 2016 and 2017 incidents were directly correlated with culture and leadership problems.The report noted that one anonymous lieutenant currently on active duty said, “Sometimes I think we care more about whether we have enough diversity officers than if we’ll survive a fight with the Chinese navy.””It’s criminal. They think my only value is as a Black woman. But you cut our ship open with a missile and we’ll all bleed the same color,” the lieutenant continued. CRENSHAW: BUSH’S CRITICISMS OF BIDEN’S WITHDRAWAL OF TROOPS FROM AFGHANISTAN IS ‘RIGHT’Other complaints within the U.S. Navy outlined in the report include distracted leaders, excessive fear of bad publicity and the loss of focus on growing good ship-handlers. “Sailors and officers lack sufficient resiliency and are unprepared for the difficulties of combat, in part because their training has deemphasized persistent exposure to adversity,” the report noted. A Navy spokesperson said in a statement to Fox News that the service welcomes “the insights and report findings, many of which are consistent with areas we have addressed and taken action on.””We look forward to continuing our work with Congress to ensure we have the most capable ships crewed by the most capable Sailors, as well as a surface force that is fit for the challenges of the 21st century,” the spokesperson continued.SEN. COTTON HAS ‘REAL DOUBTS’ ABOUT US NAVY’S ABILITY TO DEFEAT CHINA IN BATTLE Republican lawmakers have been speaking out against some of the military’s recent training and recruitment initiatives. Several Republican members of Congress in March voiced concerns about some of the books included on the Navy’s 2021 reading list. Banks, who serves in the U.S. Navy Reserve as a Supply Corps officer and deployed to Afghanistan in 2014 and 2015, sent a letter to Adm. Michael Gilday on Feb. 26 arguing that the views promoted in Ibram X. Kendi’s “How to Be an Antiracist” on the Chief of Naval Operations Professional Reading Program (CNO-PRP) are “explicitly anti-American.” Gilday said he would not be making any changes.NAVY TASK FORCE PLEDGE ON DISCRIMINATION, ‘INTERSECTIONAL IDENTITIES’: WHAT WE KNOWRepublican Reps. Doug Lamborn of Colorado and Vicky Hartzler of Missouri on March 11 also sent a letter to the admiral expressing concern about the inclusion of “How to be an Antiracist,” as well as Michelle Alexander’s “The New Jim Crow” and Jason Pierceson’s “Sexual Minorities and Politics.”The Navy also faced criticism in March after leaked slides from the military’s “extremism” training said sailors could not discuss “politically partisan” subjects on duty but that advocating for Black Lives Matter while on duty was acceptable.In May, the Defense Department came under fire from conservatives at the time after Space Force Lt. Col. Matthew Lohmeier was removed from his post after speaking out against Marxism in the military. Conservatives came to the aid of Lohmeier after his sacking, and Republican lawmakers demanded he be reinstated.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPThe Navy revised its slides after multiple reports came out highlighting the political bias in the military branch’s training. Other military branches including the Army and Air Force have faced criticism recently for pushing “woke” narratives in advertisements and on social media.Crenshaw and Cotton, who served in the Army Reserve, in May launched a whistleblower form for military service members so that the armed forces don’t “fall to woke ideology.” The form is available on Crenshaw’s website, which states that submissions will be shared with Cotton’s office.Fox News’ Houston Keane, Kelly Laco and Brittany De Lea contributed to this report. 

Ohio GOP candidate raises $2.25M this quarter in competitive Senate primary

Ohio GOP candidate raises $2.25M this quarter in competitive Senate primary

Ohio GOP Senate primary candidate Bernie Moreno on Wednesday announced that his campaign reached $2.25 million in donations during the second quarter of 2021.The Cleveland businessman outraised at least three other GOP candidates, including two-time Senate candidate Josh Mandel ($1.5 million), former state GOP chair Jane Timken ($1.4 million) and 2018 Ohio Republican Senate candidate Mike Gibbons ($6 million, including a $5 million personal investment), according to Ohio newspaper The Vindicator.Candidate and “Hillbilly Elegy” author J.D. Vance is not reporting his campaign’s earnings until the end of the third quarter.WITH JD VANCE CANDIDACY, OHIO GOP SENATE PRIMARY GETS BIGGER, MORE EXPENSIVE”We raised more money this quarter than any other Republican or Democrat in the race because Ohio voters want a successful business leader and political outsider to make Ohio the best place to live, work, grow a business or raise a family,” Moreno told Fox News in a statement. “There is tremendous energy and excitement in our campaign among small-dollar donors and voters.”
2022 Ohio Senate primary candidate Bernie Moreno.
(Bernie Moreno campaign)Moreno, who came to the U.S. from Colombia with his mother when he was 5 years old, has not accepted any corporate PAC money and has not made any personal investments, according to his office.OHIO RACE: ANOTHER CANDIDATE JUMPS INTO THE MOST COMPETITIVE GOP SENATE PRIMARY IN THE COUNTRYOnce a top general election battleground state, former President Trump won Ohio both in 2016 and last year. Nearly all of 2022 GOP Senate candidates have strongly spotlighted their support for the former president.Richard Grenell, who served as acting director of national intelligence and U.S. ambassador to Germany in the Trump administration, is backing Moreno.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPThe U.S. Senate is currently split 50-50 along party lines, but the Democrats hold a razor-thin majority, due to the tie-breaking vote of Vice President Kamala Harris, who serves as president of the Senate. That means the GOP only needs a one-seat pickup to regain the majority.But Republicans are defending 20 of the 34 seats up for grabs in 2022. Besides Ohio, the GOP is also defending open seats in the key battlegrounds of North Carolina and Pennsylvania, as well as in Missouri and Alabama.Fox News’ Tyler Olson contributed to this report.

'Tiger King' star Joe Exotic's prison sentenced vacated, court orders resentencing

'Tiger King' star Joe Exotic's prison sentenced vacated, court orders resentencing

An Oklahoma district court vacated “Tiger King” docuseries star Joe Exotic’s prison sentence Wednesday and ordered his resentencing, court filings obtained by Fox News show.Exotic, also known as Joseph Maldonado-Passage, is the former owner of an Oklahoma zoo documented in the Netflix original hit series “Tiger King,” which hit tens of millions of viewers last year.Maldonado-Passage is two years into a 22-year prison sentence stemming from a failed murder-for-hire plot against his rival, big cat rescue sanctuary owner, Carole Baskin.Circuit Judge Gregory Phillips reaffirmed Maldonado-Passage’s 2018 federal indictment on 21 counts including wildlife crimes and two murder-for-hire plots but said that because Baskin attended trial proceedings that did not group Maldonado-Passage’s two murder-for-hire convictions involving the same victim together – as required by federal guidelines – Maldonado-Passage’s current conviction must be vacated. ‘TIGER KING’ STAR CAROLE BASKIN CLAIMS JOE EXOTIC RIVALRY WAS ‘FABRICATED’ FOR NETFLIX SHOW
An Oklahoma district court vacated ‘Tiger King’ docuseries star Joe Exotic’s prison sentence Wednesday and ordered his resentencing, court filings obtained by Fox News show.
(Netflix US/AFP via Getty Images)”We hold that the district court acted within its discretion by allowing Baskin to attend the full trial proceedings despite her being listed as a government witness, but that it erred by not grouping the two murder-for-hire convictions at sentencing. Accordingly, we affirm the conviction but vacate the sentence and remand for resentencing,” Phillips wrote in his opinion. Maldonado-Passage allegedly paid one of his park employees, Alan Glover, $3,000 to kill Baskin by “cut[ting] her head off,” though Glover has testified that he did not intend to follow through with the plan, according to court documents.CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTERThe Netflix star was upset that Baskin, his outspoken critic, had won a million-dollar civil judgment against him.After his initial attempt failed, prosecutors say Maldonado-Passage offered $10,000 to an undercover FBI agent to kill Baskin during a meeting that was recorded and played for the jury. In the recording, he told the agent, “Just like follow her into a mall parking lot and just cap her and drive off.”CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPBaskin and her husband Howard suggested in April that they would help Maldonado-Passage get out of prison if he agreed to publicly back a law seeking to end private ownership of big cats, which was passed by the House of Representatives in early December.”Tiger King” extensively covered Maldonado-Passage’s repeated claims that Baskin allegedly killed her husband Don Lewis, who disappeared in 1997, and possibly fed him to her tigers. Baskin has never been charged with any crime and released a statement at the time refuting the accusations made in the series.Fox News’ Frank Miles and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Pence calls on Biden to demand Olympics move out of Beijing until China offers transparency on COVID-19

Pence calls on Biden to demand Olympics move out of Beijing until China offers transparency on COVID-19

Former Vice President Mike Pence called on President Biden to demand the 2022 Olympics be moved out of Beijing unless China offers transparency on the origins of COVID-19 and ends human rights abuses against the county’s Muslim minority populations in Xinjiang.The former vice president made the remarks at The Heritage Foundation on Wednesday for the conservative think tank’s annual B.C. Lee Lecture on international affairs.PENCE ACCUSES BIDEN ADMINISTRATION OF ‘ROLLING OVER’ FOR CHINA, HITS CORPORATE AMERICA FOR ‘ABETTING’ REGIME”President Biden should make a clear and unequivocal demand that the 2022 Winter Olympics be moved from Beijing unless China comes clean on the origins of COVID-19 and immediately ends the persecution of the Uyghur people,” Pence said during his speech. “The Olympics should only take place in countries that respect fundamental human rights and the well-being of mankind.”SEN. COTTON HAS ‘REAL DOUBTS’ ABOUT US NAVY’S ABILITY TO DEFEAT CHINA IN BATTLEThe 2022 Olympics are set to start in Beijing on Friday, Feb. 4.Pence also suggested the Biden administration ban future public or private funding for science labs in China; bring prescription drug manufacturing back to the U.S.; end farm subsidies for land owned by foreign nations; increase the number of Chinese companies barred from American investment; negotiate a trade agreement with Taiwan; stand with Hong Kong and its pro-democracy protests; maintain “American military superiority”; ban the Chinese government-funded Confucious Institute, which has programs in U.S. colleges; and more.CHINA EXPANDS INFLUENCE AS IT WARNS NATIONS OF ‘BROKEN HEADS’ IF THEY INTERVENE”In many respects, Communist China poses a greater threat to the United States than the Soviet Union ever did throughout the Cold War,” the former vice president said. “Today America is forced to confront China on two fronts: one against an authoritarian system and military bent on regional domination, and the other against powerful business interests and celebrities in our own country who are openly aiding and abetting the communist regime.”Pence expressed multiple times that the president has been weak on China-related policy, especially in the wake of COVID-19, with a number of government and science experts suggesting a link between the origins of the virus and the Wuhan Institute of Virology, which had received a federal grant from the U.S. for gain-of-function research before the outbreak.RETIRED NEAR ADMIRAL SOUNDS ALARM ON NAVY’S COMBAT READINESS: THE FOCUS MUST RETURN TO ‘WARFIGHTING’U.S.-China tensions escalated under the Trump administration due to a years-long trade war between the two countries amid U.S. accusations of intellectual property theft, cyberattacks, fentanyl exports to the U.S. and other crimes; criticism related to the coronavirus pandemic; and China’s human rights record with regard to Muslim minority populations in its northeast region and Hong Kong.Trump imposed strict sanctions on China and blacklisted dozens of Chinese companies accused of facilitating human rights abuses against the country’s Uyghur population.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPBiden has expressed the importance of maintaining a tough stance against China, and his administration has continued to blacklist Chinese companies for being complicit in the Chinese government’s efforts to spy on Uyghurs, though some critics have argued that the president is not taking a strong enough stance.

Page 1 of 8123Next ›Last »