A Florida man faces multiple charges after he allegedly drove through a security gate at a Tampa-area airport and got into the cockpit of a Coast Guard C-130 airplane on Saturday morning, officials said. Hamilton Moreno, 36, is accused of leading deputies on a chase across a runway at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport before 5 a.m. ET in a vehicle that had been reported stolen the night before, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement. LAX TRAVELER, AFTER POSSIBLE HIJACKING ATTEMPT, OPENS DOOR, JUMPS OUT OF TAXIING AIRCRAFT
(The suspect led deputies at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport on a chase across the runway in an allegedly stolen car before he got into the cockpit of a Coast Guard C-130. )Moreno was arrested after he allegedly crashed through a Coast Guard security gate, left the car in a hangar and climbed into the empty C-130, the sheriff’s department said. The suspect was booked into the Pinellas County Jail on charges of fleeing and eluding, trespassing, grand theft auto, habitual traffic offender, burglary, and two counts of criminal mischief.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPHis bond was set at $24,150.The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and other state Democrats called on state Rep. John Thompson, a Democrat, to resign Saturday after past allegations of domestic abuse surfaced Friday, according to reports. The state lawmaker was already enmeshed in several controversies involving an allegedly suspended driver’s license, his residency potentially being out of his district and a suspect claim of racial profiling he leveled against police during a traffic stop. Thompson, who was first elected last year, has been accused of hitting and choking women – sometimes while young children were present – and of allegedly exposing himself, FOX 9 in Minneapolis reported. “The alleged acts of violence against multiple women outlined in these reports are serious and deeply disturbing,” Walz said in a statement, according to the Star Tribune of Minneapolis. “Minnesotans deserve representatives of the highest moral character, who uphold our shared values. Rep. Thompson can no longer effectively be that leader and he should immediately resign.”The allegations were first reported by FOX 9 on Friday night while the station was investigating Thompson’s residency, which came into question during a July 4 traffic stop during which he questionably accused the officer of racism. Thompson has denied the allegations to FOX 9 through an attorney. Representatives for the lawmaker did not immediately respond to Fox News’ late-night request for comment. Thompson was reportedly arrested in 2003 for allegedly hitting his then-girlfriend in a grocery store parking lot in front of her 5-year-old daughter. He eventually pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to FOX 9. A year later the same girlfriend reportedly called police, accusing him of hitting her, throwing her onto a kitchen table and choking her in front of her three children in her apartment. LAWMAKER WHO MADE QUESTIONABLE ‘DRIVING WHILE BLACK’ CLAIM TALKED ABOUT ‘BURNING’ A TOWN AFTER FLOYD’S DEATHShe claimed he told her “I’ll choke you until you can’t breathe anymore,” FOX 9 reported. The girlfriend reportedly told police a day earlier he told her and her daughter, “I hope you both die.”
Police bodycam footage of Rep. John Thompson’s July 4 traffic stop
(City of St. Paul/Minnesota House of Representatives)The girlfriend was taken to a shelter and it doesn’t appear Thompson faced any charges. In 2009, police responded to an incident where Thompson allegedly exposed himself in front of a woman and two children during an argument. “I’m the man, you can all s—- my d—,” he allegedly said after he reportedly pulled out his penis. No charges were filed. The next year, police were called when a woman who said she had been in a relationship with Thompson for years and had two children with him claimed he pulled out his penis and told her to “kiss the tip” during an argument in front of children and relatives. She also told police he later choked her and said, “I’ll choke you until your voice box stops.” No charges were filed. “Mr. Thompson does deny the allegations,” his attorney, Jordan Kushner, told FOX 9. “The end results speak for themselves. We are currently focused on [Thompson’s current] trial and do not have time to dissect these police reports from 10-18 years ago.”Kushner said Thompson had no plans to resign as of Saturday. “It’s a shame that there’s no concern about due process,” Kushner told the Star Tribune. Thompson was cited in Minnesota earlier this month for allegedly driving with a Wisconsin license that was suspended in 2019 for failure to pay child support in Ramsey County, Minnesota. Court documents related to a trial this week where he is accused of disorderly conduct were also being sent to an address outside of his St. Paul district. Thompson alleges that he and others were unfairly treated by police at North Memorial Medical Center in November 2019 after a group gathered at the hospital for a friend who was a patient. His claims greatly differ from what police and prosecutors contend happened, however, with police saying the hospital went on lockdown after about 50-75 people began fighting and banging on windows. Thompson alleges that police and security guards treated Black visitors callously, and directly called the police racist. He says an officer responded by calling him an “idiot” and arrested him for trespassing. He is fighting the misdemeanor charge in court. Kushner said the state representative has always lived in his district but was unaware court documents were sent to an address outside of his district. Minnesota law requires state legislature candidates to be living in their district at the time of their election. Body camera footage of Thompson’s traffic stop earlier this month in which he claimed he was racially profiled was released by the St. Paul Police Department. “I’m too old to run from the police, man,” Thompson said to the officer in the video of the July 4 stop. “You profiled me because you looked me dead in the face and I got a ticket for driving while Black. You pulled me over because you saw a Black face in this car, brother. There’s no way in hell I’m taking off with you behind me. … You looked in this car and busted a U-turn and got behind my car, and that’s the reason.”He was initially pulled over for not having a front license plate. Thompson’s claim elicited St. Paul Police Chief Todd Axtell to demand an apology, saying he reviewed the footage and found it had “nothing to do with the driver’s race.””Simply put, the traffic stop was by the books,” Axtell said in a Facebook post. “What happened afterwards was anything but, I’m dismayed and disappointed by the state representative’s response to the stop. Rather than taking responsibility for his own decisions and actions, he attempted to deflect, cast aspersions and deny any wrongdoing.”Thompson has not answered Axtell’s call to apologize but supported the release of the footage and noted the officer’s actions “were by the book.”CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPLt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, a Democrat, was among those who called for his resignation. “As a mom, advocate for children, and survivor and child witness of domestic violence, I know the deeply traumatic impact of the actions outlined in reports against Rep. Thompson,” Flanagan said in a statement. “Someone who has allegedly demonstrated this violent pattern of behavior, especially in the presence of children, is unfit to serve in elected office.”Minnesota House Speaker Melissa Hortman and House Majority Leader Ryan Winkler also called for his resignation in a joint statement.”Rep. Thompson ran for office to advance progressive policies, but his recent actions, and unacceptable reports of abuse and misconduct, have become an impediment to that work,” they said, the Tribune reported. Ken Martin, Chairman of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party, also called for Thompson’s resignation.
A hot air balloon pilot died this week after he became trapped underneath the balloon’s basket and fell to his death, the Vermont State Police said. Longtime pilot Brian Boland, 72, had left Post Mills Airport in Vermont with four passengers when the balloon started to descend rapidly and touched down in a field. The basket tipped and one of the passengers fell out but wasn’t hurt, police said. Boland then became tangled in gear affixed to the balloon and got stuck underneath the basket as it went back up. He fell from an unknown height and landed in a field where he was later pronounced dead, according to police. The balloon continued to fly for a mile and a half until it got stuck in some trees in Piermont, New Hampshire. The remaining three passengers were able to climb down safely and none of the four passengers were hurt.
Investigators, including those from the Federal Aviation Administration, gather along the Connecticut River and Route 25 in Bradford, Vt., on Friday, July 16, 2021, following the death of a hot-air balloonist. (Associated Press)
At least four people were wounded late Friday in a shooting in Sacramento, according to a report. The gunfire happened near several restaurants along the Sacramento River in the city’s Old Sacramento historic district, KCRA-TV reported.There were no reports of any arrests but police said there was no active shooter in the area, according to KCRA. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPPolice in California’s capital city had streets near the crime scene blocked off as they investigated.This story is developing. Check back for updates.
A Colorado man was found guilty Friday of second-degree murder and child abuse in the death of his 13-year-old son. Mark Redwine, 59, was arrested in 2017, four years after the remains of Dylan Redwine, 13, were found in a wooded area several miles from his father’s house outside Durango, Colorado. The teen’s skull was found by hikers in 2015, FOX 31 in Denver reported. Dylan had been at his father’s house on a court-approved Thanksgiving visit. The boy went missing Nov. 19, 2012, and Redwine told investigators he had left him at the house to run errands and returned to find him gone. Redwine didn’t testify at the trial.Prosecutors argued that Redwine attacked his son after the boy found fetish photos of Redwine wearing women’s lingerie and eating feces from a diaper. ‘BOY NEXT DOOR KILLER’ GETS DEATH FOR MURDERS OF 2 WOMENThe defense claimed the photos had nothing to do with Dylan’s death and suggested the boy ran away and was possibly killed by a bear or mountain lion.
Defendant Mark Redwine and his lawyer are seen in district court in Durango, Colorado, Aug. 15, 2017. (Associated Press)
California gubernatorial candidate Caitlyn Jenner denied reports that she has paused her campaign to unseat Gov. Gavin Newsom in the September recall election. “I have not paused my campaign at all. I am preparing to launch a multi-week bus tour across CA,” the reality star and former Olympian tweeted Friday. Several outlets reported Friday that Jenner, who is running as a Republican, arrived in Australia this week to quarantine before filming “Celebrity Big Brother.” Jenner said in another tweet she was “honoring a work commitment that I had made prior to even deciding to run for governor. There is no pause at all on this race to save CA!”She will quarantine for two weeks at her hotel, Vanity Fair reported. CAITLYN JENNER SAYS SHE WILL RUN FOR GOVERNOR IN 2022 IF REPUBLICANS LOSE NEWSOM RECALLThe trip comes just two months before the Sept. 14 election. “Big Brother” has reportedly not confirmed her casting, but if she joins the show, a final campaign push through the Golden State after filming will be tight, especially since mail-in ballots will start being sent out in August. “My campaign team is in full operation as am I,” Jenner wrote in a third tweet. “I am in this race to win for California, because it is worth fighting for.”Politico reporter Tara Palmieri tweeted Friday, “Caitlyn Jenner’s campaign isn’t entirely dead — an advisor tells me she will have a bus tour when she returns from Australia where she’s filming Big Brother. Oh & somehow she’ll make back in time to vote in September — even though she has to quarantine for 2 weeks in OZ.” Jenner is among dozens of Republicans and a few Democrats vying for the governorship if Californians vote to recall Newsom, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Besides Jenner, the biggest-name contenders are considered to be businessman John Cox, who ran against Newsom in 2018, former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and former California congressman Doug Ose. A poll in May showed Jenner at about 6% support in the state. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPNewsom is considered to be in a good position to fend off the recall. Jenner told Fox News last weekend at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) she will likely run in 2022 if Newsom isn’t recalled this fall.
After San Francisco Bay Area health officials issued new guidance Friday recommending that everyone – even those who are vaccinated – should wear masks indoors, many restaurants are now reportedly requiring them again for their employees. And at least one employer has decided to lay off any unvaccinated employees just to be safe, the San Francisco Chronicle reported. “If anyone doesn’t want to get vaccinated, we will let them go,” Zareen Khan, owner of Pakistani/Indian restaurant Zareen’s, told the newspaper. “It’s terrible, but we need people to understand this is serious. It’s better to be cautious than to be sorry.”She said most of her employees are vaccinated. Cases have ticked up across the state mostly due to the delta variant.In Los Angeles officials are now mandating everyone wear masks indoors. LOS ANGELES COUNTY REIMPOSING INDOOR MASK REQUIREMENTThe Bay Area’s guidance was issued in seven counties: San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Mateo, Santa Clara and Sonoma.
Cassava restaurant co-owner Yuka Ioroi, right, greets a customer picking up a to-go order in San Francisco, April 8, 2020. The restaurant plans to reopen indoor dining in August. (Getty Images)