Philip Kreycik has been missing since he went for an hour-long run on Saturday.July 15, 2021, 1:25 PM• 5 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleDays after an avid long-distance runner mysteriously vanished in Northern California, police are “further scaling down operations” to find him, they announced Wednesday evening.Philip Kreycik, 37, drove to the Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park at about 11 a.m. Saturday, parking at the Moller Trail staging area, to go for an 8-mile run, according to the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.The Berkeley resident told his wife he’d be gone for an hour, police said. He has been missing ever since.”Philip is an endurance athlete and is in top physical condition. He is also well versed on rural terrain and outdoor environments,” Sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Kelly said in a statement Tuesday. “Temperatures that day on the ridge were about 106 degrees but were not a deterrent for Phillip who thrives in extreme environments.””This is a very bright man who went to Harvard and MIT, a man that’s analytical in his thinking, a guy that runs ultramarathons,” Kelly told ABC San Francisco station KGO.Wednesday marked “the last fully operational day” of the “exhaustive” five-day search, Pleasanton Police Department said, announcing that the department and aiding agencies are “further scaling down operations” to find him.The search included more than a dozen agencies from across the state and nearly 300 volunteers, police said. Dogs, drones, helicopters and an airplane with advanced thermal imagery were also deployed, the sheriff’s office said.Kreycik is the father of a 3-year-old and 10-month-old with his wife, Jen Yao.”I know in my heart of hearts he’s out there,” Yao told KGO. “He’s out there and he’s alive and he’s waiting for us. And maybe he’s dehydrated, maybe injured, delirious.”Police said Kreycik is described as white with a thin build, brown hair and brown eyes. He has no known health conditions.Anyone with information is asked to call the Pleasanton Police Department at (925) 931-5107.
This marks the sixth child to die in a hot car in the U.S. this year.July 1, 2021, 6:54 PM• 3 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleA 3-year-old boy has died after he was left in a hot car in Spartanburg, South Carolina, authorities said.When officers responded to a home around 5:45 p.m. Wednesday, the boy’s guardian told them that he was mistakenly left in the car, Spartanburg police said. She said she thought she dropped the 3-year-old off at day care with her other children that morning, but didn’t notice he hadn’t gone inside with them until later that day, police said.The woman said she called 911 as soon as she found the boy in the back of her SUV, police said.The preliminary autopsy found that the boy died from heat, Spartanburg County Coroner Rusty Clevenger said. Spartanburg reached a high of 92 degrees Wednesday.Police said the investigation is ongoing but it appears that the boy’s death was accidental.The boy, whose name was not released, was in foster care, Clevenger said. Authorities are working to reach his biological mother, he said.This marks the sixth child to die in a hot car in the U.S. this year, according to national nonprofit Kids and Car Safety.A record 54 children died in hot cars in 2018, followed by 53 fatalities in 2019, according to Kids and Car Safety. Twenty-five children died in hot cars last year, a drop which director Amber Rollins attributed to the pandemic.”Hot car deaths continue to take place because nobody believes this could happen to them,” Janette Fennell, president of Kids and Car Safety, said in a statement. “The unfortunate reality is that this has happened to even the most loving, responsible, and attentive parents. Factors such as fatigue, stress, or a sudden change in routine can contribute to parents unknowingly leaving a child alone in a car.”Click here for hot car safety tips to remember this summer.
The 35-year-old suspect has been taken into custody.June 17, 2021, 3:32 PM• 3 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleA man is in custody after allegedly stabbing a 94-year-old Asian woman multiple times in broad daylight in San Francisco, police said.The woman was attacked at about 10:15 a.m. Wednesday and rushed to a hospital, the San Francisco Police Department said. She’s expected to survive.”Investigators believe the attack was unprovoked and are working to determine if race was a motivating factor,” police said.The suspect, 35-year-old Daniel Cauich, was arrested at about 11:45 a.m., police said.Cauich was booked on charges of attempted homicide, battery with serious injury, elder abuse, committing a felony while on bail or release, great bodily injury enhancement and probation violation, police said.He’s due in court on June 22.This latest attack comes amid a surge in hate crimes against the AAPI community.Anti-Asian hate crimes in 16 of the nation’s largest cities jumped 145% from 2019 to 2020, according to an analysis by the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino.San Francisco Mayor London Breed tweeted Wednesday night “With the rise in attacks against members of our AAPI community, I want to be very clear that this type of violence is unacceptable and has no place in our city. We will not stand by as anyone, especially elderly members of our community, are harmed.”
William Harvey, 60, was at the station for questioning on an aggravated assault.June 15, 2021, 7:32 PM• 4 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleFive Georgia officers have been fired after a 60-year-old man died by suicide while alone in a police interview room, the department said.William Harvey had been taken to Savannah police headquarters on April 3 for questioning in an aggravated assault investigation, the Savannah Police Department said.Officers left the interview room and returned to find Harvey unconscious, with injuries to his neck made by his shoelaces, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, whose agents were brought in to investigate. The GBI ruled Harvey’s death a suicide.A Savannah police spokeswoman said there was no video footage while Harvey was alone in the room.All officers connected to the incident were placed on administrative leave, police said, and the Savannah police’s professional standards unit launched an investigation into the four officers involved.At the end of the police department’s investigation, a corporal and a sergeant in the department were fired, police said Monday.Then in late April, the professional standards unit opened a second investigation after an officer sent a group chat message to other officers referring to the in-custody death investigation, the department said. The message “had an inappropriate meme/GIF attached,” police said, though they did not elaborate on the content of the message.That investigation ended with three more firings of a sergeant, a corporal and an officer, police said.Four of the five officers appealed their firing to the police chief and the city manager; all of the terminations were upheld, police said.Savannah Mayor Van Johnson said in a statement to ABC News Tuesday, “I am devastated that Mr. William Harvey died while under the care, custody and control of the Savannah Police Department.””While we cannot provide justice for the Harvey family, we can ensure accountability for the policies we did not follow and the actions we did not take,” Johnson said. “I do not believe that there was malicious intent on the part of the officers involved, but the result was deadly. And for that, I believe the decision to terminate was appropriate.”Johnson and Savannah Police Chief Roy Minter said they have met twice with Harvey’s family.”I hope and pray that they [the family] find some type of comfort knowing the Savannah Police Department did what we had to do to hold members of our organization accountable,” Minter told reporters Tuesday. “I don’t think any of these officers had any malicious intent in what they did, but they made some poor decisions and didn’t follow department policy and procedure.”An attorney for Harvey’s family did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.If you or a loved one is experiencing suicidal thoughts, The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support. Call 1-800-273-8255 for help.