Home » Entries posted by Stephanie Pagones
The California city of Oakland is in the midst of a “safety emergency” highlighted further by the violence seen over the extended holiday weekend, a local official recently said. Oakland Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong told reporters the department responded to seven shootings in the city from Sunday night to 10 a.m. Monday morning, calling the violence “12 hours of nonstop chaos,” according to local affiliate FOX 2 KTVU.”That is what is concerning. The level of celebratory gunfire is something we haven’t seen before,” Armstrong said Tuesday. “Does this department need resources? Clearly, we do. We were clearly outnumbered.” CALIFORNIA HOMICIDES JUMPED 31% LAST YEAR, STATE REPORT SAYSThe Sunday violence began just before 6:25 p.m. and continued until about 10 a.m. Several victims were critically injured and one person could not be saved, the police department said. “Our city has not seen this level of violence in many years,” Armstrong added in a press release.OAKLAND TV CREW ROBBED AT GUNPOINT HOURS AFTER POLICE CHIEF SLAMS $18M BUDGET CUT AMID HOMICIDE SURGECity Council Member Noel Gallo told KPIX 5 the recent illegal activity “certainly has Oakland in a safety emergency.” “I grew up here in Oakland and East Oakland, and it is the worst I’ve ever seen,” he told the news station. “And not only dealing with the side shows, dealing with the fireworks, but also the violence on the streets. But the reality is that we need greater enforcement.”He emphasized the need for cooperation among law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, as well as community engagement and support, the report states.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPAccording to the report, 67 people have been killed in Oakland so far this year.
Florida officials have shifted gears at the Surfside high-rise collapse site from search and rescue to recovery Wednesday – meaning that they don’t expect to find additional survivors.The search for victims of the collapse of a Miami-area high-rise condominium had reached its 14th day, and officials earlier announced they had recovered 18 more bodies from the rubble, bringing the death toll to at least 54, and said 86 people were still unaccounted for. The decision to end the rescue effort came after crews completed a search of the last area where they expected to find “voids,” or pockets of debris large enough to possibly contain survivors.Many of the victims found throughout the day were dead in their beds. The high rise crumbled in the early morning hours of June 24, when most residents were sleeping. No survivors have been pulled from the rubble since the hours immediately following the tragedy.Speaking to families of the victims who remain unaccounted for, Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah said search teams would stop using rescue dogs and sonar devices meant to find survivors and instead dig through the rubble in search of human remains.”Our sole responsibility at this point is to bring closure,” he told them, according to the Associated Press.Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava confirmed the news publicly at a news briefing early Wednesday evening and said the official transition would take place at midnight.”At this point, we have truly exhausted every option available to us in the search and rescue mission,” she said.The mayor said first responders and members of the public were invited to a vigil to mark the transition and honor the fallen.”God is still in control, and while there seems to be no chance of finding life in the rubble, a miracle is still possible,” Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett added during the briefing, thanking members of the public for their prayers on behalf of the victims.During another news conference earlier in the day, Cava repeatedly tried not to weep, paused and shook her head as she described the effect of the tragedy on rescue workers and the families of the victims.”Our commitment to this mission is deeply personal. This is our community, our neighbors, our families. And our first responders have truly searched that pile every single day since the collapse as if they’re searching for their own loved ones,” she said.The latest retrievals reflect what rescue officials have said would be a ramped-up pace of work after the remaining portion of the condo building was demolished Sunday night.Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah broke the discovery of the additional bodies and human remains to family members in a private briefing Wednesday morning. The death toll now stands at 46, and officials had already begun to sound more grim about the prospects of finding any surviving victims.CONDO COLLAPSE: 10 MORE VICTIMS FOUND IN SURFSIDE RUBBLE, MAKING DEATH TOLL 46Crews “did some significant removal of the pile,” Jadallah said. “They were able to get down to various areas to inspect.”Jadallah also reported the somber news that so far no new “voids” have been discovered in the areas that became accessible for the first time after the demolition. Rescuers had hoped to find new pockets where there might be survivors.14 DAYS AFTER FLORIDA CONDO COLLAPSE, NO SIGNS OF SURVIVORSAn up-close look at the search, in a video released Tuesday by the Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue Department, came as eight more deaths were announced — until Wednesday, the most for a single day since the search began. It also came as rain and wind from Tropical Storm Elsa disrupted the effort.”Unfortunately, we are not seeing anything positive,” county fire chief Alan Cominsky said Tuesday night, referring to workers not finding any open spaces within the mounds of rubble where additional survivors might be found.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPSevere weather from Elsa hindered search efforts to a degree. Lightning forced rescuers to pause their work for two hours early Tuesday, Jadallah said. And winds of 20 mph, with stronger gusts, hampered efforts to move heavy debris with cranes, officials said.Crews have removed 124 tons of debris from the site, Cominsky said. The debris was being sorted and stored in a warehouse as potential evidence in the investigation into why the building collapsed, officials said.The Associated Press contributed to this report.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order on Tuesday, declaring a “first-in-the-nation” disaster emergency on gun violence, and outlining several steps the state will be taking to quell the bloodshed, particularly that which affects at-risk youth. Speaking to an audience at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City, the Democratic governor also signed legislation that closed “a loophole that allowed people with outstanding warrants for their arrest to purchase guns,” according to a Tuesday press release.Cuomo began his press conference touting New York’s response to the novel coronavirus pandemic. He said 51 people had died over the Fourth of July weekend, while only 13 had suffered COVID-19-related deaths. “We went from one epidemic to another epidemic. We went from COVID to the epidemic of gun violence. And the fear and the death that goes along with it,” Cuomo said. “When you look at the recent numbers, more people are dying of gun violence than of COVID … we’re losing young people.”
Surrounded by supporters and advocates, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, center, signs legislation on gun control in New York, Tuesday, July 6, 2021. Cuomo signed two pieces of legislation to combat gun violence in New York state.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)JFK AIRPORT CONTROL TOWER WATER LEAK GROUNDS HUNDREDS OF FLIGHTS ON FOURTH OF JULY WEEKENDThe executive order, he said, says to everyone in the state: “I want you to understand the extent of the problem. I want you to understand how serious this is.”Cuomo added that the order will also make available more money and programs to benefit the gun violence prevention efforts. He called gun violence a “public health emergency” and, with that, announced that he would be creating an Office of Gun Violence Prevention within the Department of Health. CUOMO BACKS OFF PUTTING COVID MEMORIAL IN BATTERY PARK FOLLOWING BACKLASHGun violence [is the] number one cause of premature death in the United States,” he said. He later added: “Gun violence not only taking a human toll, it’s taking an economic toll. So we have no choice but to address it. It’s the right thing to do. It’s also the smart thing to do. And in many ways, this state can’t afford not to do it.”The executive order will also put $138.7 million toward prevention, intervention and employment programs for at-risk youth, including a $57 million investment toward creating 21,000 jobs for youth over the summer through local, city and state agencies.Other aspects of the order will require police agencies to share incident-based data so authorities can target gun violence “hot spots,” and will create a “gun trafficking interdiction unit” within the New York State Police. New York Senate Republican Leader Rob Ortt slammed Cuomo’s announcement as “political grandstanding” and said the gun violence crisis has a direct link to the passage of the state bail reform laws. “Days after finally relinquishing his emergency powers, the governor has declared another emergency,” Ortt said. “The crisis in cities across our state today directly correlates with the passage of the disastrous bail and other criminal justice ‘reforms,’ an out-of-control parole board that has released countless murderers and other dangerous criminals, and calls by Democrats to defund our police.”Immediately following his Tuesday afternoon announcement, Cuomo signed two bills pertaining to firearm sales and gun manufacturers. The first legislation opens the door for anyone to take legal action against a gun manufacturer using the argument that the product creates a “public nuisance,” according to the governor’s office. Products made by gun manufacturers can be considered public nuisances “even if the gun manufacturer did not purposely cause harm to the public,” the press release states.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP”This legislation will allow for a lawsuit to be brought in cases where reasonable controls and procedures are not in place, ensuring that responsible manufacturers and dealers will not be held accountable for the actions of criminal actors,” the release adds. The second legislation prohibits any person who has an outstanding warrant for “a felony or serious offense” from purchasing a firearm.Fox News’ Tamara Gitt contributed to this report.
Police in San Antonio, Texas, fatally wounded a man who opened fire on them shortly after he allegedly shot at a local news team on Monday morning, officials said. Police were responding to reports of shots fired at a TV crew on Noria Street near S. Navidad Street at around 11 a.m. Saturday when they spotted the unidentified suspect, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said during a subsequent press conference. The shooter ran into a nearby house where he is believed to have known people. Police were able to get the residents to safety, McManus said, and the suspect stayed inside before leaving through a back door and relocating to an air-conditioned shed on the property.TEXAS HOSPITAL DELIVERS 100 BABIES IN 91-HOUR SPANAs officers moved in, the suspect allegedly “saw them at the screen door [and] started shooting at them,” McManus said. Five officers returned fire, ultimately fatally striking the gunman, he said. The officers had been with the police force for anywhere from five to 18 years, McManus said. They have all been placed on administrative duty pending the district attorney’s review. “We did not intend to engage the individual,” McManus said. “This was a plan to keep him locked out of the house, make it easier for us to apprehend him. But he saw the officers at the door, [and] started shooting at them through the door.BLOODY JULY FOURTH WEEKEND LEAVES 150 FATALLY SHOT IN MORE THAN 400 SHOOTINGS NATIONWIDEPolice had previously been called to the home on Saturday for a different report of shots fired, according to local affiliate FOX 29. But McManus said police had “no probable cause to get a warrant and no probable cause to make an arrest at that time.” At the time on Saturday, the man, believed to be the same person, allegedly fired his gun into the air, McManus said. San Antonio Police Department deployed a covert crew to the area to watch the house, but they ultimately determined he was not there. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPMcManus said the suspect had a criminal history, but did not provide specific details.
Portland police responding to a report of a shooting over the weekend arrived to find that more than 80 bullets had been fired – and had struck vehicles and apartments, including some that were occupied at the time, authorities said. The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) received “multiple” 911 calls about shots being fired near Northeast 7th Avenue and Northeast Wygant Street just after 9 p.m. local time Saturday, the department said Monday. DEATH TOLL IN NORTHWEST HEAT WAVE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE RISINGPolice arrived to find more than 80 spent shell casings in the area, the PPB said. A photograph of the crime scene shows evidence markers strewn throughout the street and sidewalk.PORTLAND POLICE RELEASE VIDEO OF OFFICER-INVOLVED SHOOTING TO QUELL ‘MISINFORMATION’ AFTER VIOLENT PROTESTPPB statistics show the city has seen 579 shootings so far this year – more than double what was reported during the same time in 2020. During Saturday’s shooting, bullets struck four vehicles and four residences, including apartments that were occupied at the time. No one was reportedly injured. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPInvestigators are still searching for one or more shooters involved.
Reports of vehicle break-ins in San Francisco were up by between 100% and over 750% in parts of the Golden City, according to the police department’s most recent monthly statistics. The number of thefts from vehicles reported citywide in the month of May was more than double, from 923 in 2020 to 1891 the same month in 2021, San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) data shows. The department has not yet released statistics for the month of June.POLICE SHOOT, KILL CALIFORNIA MAN NEAR MARIJUANA FARMS EVACUATED BY FIREA closer examination of more specific locations within San Francisco show some police stations reported even bigger jumps, such as the Central Station, which reported a 753% increase in thefts from vehicles in May 2021 – with 725 – compared to the 85 reported during the same month in 2020, police department statistics show. SFPD’s Park Station saw a 110% increase year over year, with 48 in May 2020 and 101 in May 2021, and Richmond Station recorded a 102% uptick, from 100 to 202 incidents reported, records show. SERIAL SAN FRANCISCO SHOPLIFTING SUSPECT CAUGHT ON VIDEO CHARGED WITH MULTIPLE RETAIL THEFTSLocal news station KPIX 5 spoke to a mix of San Francisco residents and visitors, including tourists whose rental cars were broken into while they were visiting the city. “We don’t usually see stuff like this,” an anonymous tourist told the news station, calling it “scary.” CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPSFPD asks that anyone who sees a break-in in progress to call 911, according to KPIX 5. Anyone reporting an incident after the fact can do so online or by notifying police in person or via phone.
The number of murders, shootings and wounded victims reported in Chicago in the month of June was down compared to the same time in 2020, police department statistics show. The Chicago Police Department (CPD) said Thursday there were 78 murders last month compared to the 98 killings reported in June 2020, or a 20% decrease. There have also been six fewer murders so far this year compared to the same time in 2020 and murders are down for the third consecutive month, police said. Despite being down compared to last year, murders year-to-date are still high compared to the same time in 2019 – with 246 – and 2018 – with 263, police said.CHICAGO VIOLENCE: 6 KILLED, 74 INJURED IN WEEKEND SHOOTINGS, POLICE SAYMeanwhile, there were 363 shootings last month – 53 fewer than in June 2020, with 499 wounded victims – down 41, CPD statistics show. Shootings year-to-date are up by 138, or 10%, from 1,377 in June 2020 to 1,515 last month, police said. The number of shooting victims is up by 224, or 13%, from 1,656 to 1,880.CHICAGO TRAIN COLLISION: 2 ADULTS, CHILD KILLED IN CRASHCPD officers have confiscated just over 5,900 guns – including 290 assault-style weapons – so far in 2021, or 26% more than during the same period last year, police said. CPD Superintendent David O. Brown said the department projects it will “recover more than 12,000 guns this year.””Each illegal gun taken off our streets is potentially a life saved,” Brown said. “We’ve asked so much from our officers over the past six months, who continue to answer the call each day and night in service to our city.”CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPAccording to the department, 31 CPD officers have been shot at year-to-date, with six being wounded.