Man Arrested For Hit-And-Run Incident


At 4:58 PM on August 16, Anchorage police responded to the area of East 42nd Avenue and Dale Street in reference to a hit-and-run vehicle collision. The caller mentioned there was a man on top of the hood of the suspect’s vehicle while the suspect was driving away from the scene.

Witnesses told police that a silver Toyota RAV4 was being driven eastbound on Tudor Road by 30-year-old Russell C. Raiter. Raiter was driving recklessly to include stopping multiple times in the roadway without any apparent reason.

At the intersection of Tudor and Lake Otis, Raiter rear-ended a Jeep stopped for the red light. The driver of the Jeep got out of his vehicle and approached Raiter who was still sitting inside his Toyota. The Jeep’s driver knocked on the Toyota’s window at which time Raiter aggressively drove away which put the Jeep’s driver in fear of being struck.

Witnesses followed Raiter to the area of E 40th Avenue and Ronson Court. Once there, Witness #1 stopped his vehicle in front of Raiter. Raiter put his vehicle in reverse and struck Witness #2’s vehicle. Witness #1 exited his vehicle and jumped onto the hood of Raiter’s Toyota. Raiter drove away with Witness #1 still clinging to the hood.

Raiter drove around the neighborhood for a short time before stopping. Witness #1 got off the hood uninjured. Raiter exited his Toyota and fled on foot into the nearby trees. Several officers arrived in the area, to include K9 Midas and his handler, and they began the search for Raiter. The K9 track led officers to the 4100-block of Brantley Place where Raiter was located inside his residence and taken into custody without incident.

While interacting with Raiter, officers noticed signs of impairment. After administering Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, the decision was made to charge Raiter with Driving under the Influence. Once they arrived at the jail for further processing, Raiter provided a breath sample that showed his breath alcohol content was more than three and a half times the legal limit. Raiter was remanded on the charges of DUI, Reckless Endangerment, two counts of Leaving the Scene of an Accident, and two counts of Assault 3rd degree.

Everyone involved in this incident declined medical attention at the scene.