Home » Archives by category » World (Page 3)

In Germany, 45-year-old male ‘babysitter’ on trial for nearly 100 counts of alleged child sex abuse

In Germany, 45-year-old male ‘babysitter’ on trial for nearly 100 counts of alleged child sex abuse

A 45-year-old German man who had offered babysitting services online went on trial Tuesday in the western city of Cologne accused of almost 100 counts of child sexual abuse.Prosecutors told the Cologne regional court that the man documented the abuse of babies, children and teenagers, and shared videos and images of “unimaginable brutality” with dozens of people, German news agency dpa reported.Investigators who discovered vast amounts of incriminating data last year at the married man’s home, in the town of Wermelskirchen, said at the time that they had never previously “encountered such a level of inhuman brutality and callous indifference to the suffering of young children.”UTAH INVESTIGATORS ID SUSPECT IN 1972 UNSOLVED MURDER OF ARMY VETERAN, RAPE OF WOMANProsecutors are seeking a sentence of 15 years imprisonment followed by continued security confinement if the man, whose name wasn’t released for privacy reasons, is convicted.In a separate case Tuesday, four men were convicted by a court in Frankfurt for their involvement in an online platform known as “Boystown,” which was used to spread images of child sexual abuse.
The defendant in the Wermelskirchen abuse complex holds a folder in front of his face in a courtroom in Cologne, Germany, on Dec. 6, 2022. 
(Oliver Berg/dpa via AP)A 49-year-old man and a 42-year-old man were sentenced to 12 and 10 years in prison, respectively. The court also ordered them to be detained after the end of their term, Frankfurt prosecutors said.A 60-year-old German man who was arrested sitting at his computer in Paraguay was sentenced to eight years in prison for his role in operating the darknet site. A 66-year-old man from Hamburg, who was considered a particularly active user, received a seven-year sentence, officials said.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPThe verdicts can be appealed.The Boystown site was a major international platform for child sexual abuse images with more than 400,000 members before it was taken down last year.Authorities are working to identify further users of the site and bring them to trial.

Croatian warplane crashes during training flight

Croatian warplane crashes during training flight

ZAGREB, Croatia — Both pilots safely ejected from a MiG-21 fighter jet that crashed during a training flight, Croatian officials said Tuesday.The crash occurred in an uninhabited forest area in the northeast of the country around 2 p.m. (1300 GMT). One pilot suffered undisclosed injuries, officials said.NATO and EU member Croatia has an ageing fleet of some 12 Soviet-made MiG-21s that are due to be replaced with a squadron of French-made Rafale fighter jets.The delivery of the Rafale jets is expected to begin in late 2024 with a first batch of eight and a second batch of four in early 2025..

Croatian MiG-21 military jet crashes during training flight

Croatian MiG-21 military jet crashes during training flight

close Video Fox News Flash top headlines for December 6 Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com.A Croatian MiG-21 military jet crashed during a training flight Tuesday, the country’s Ministry of Defense said.INDONESIA PLANE CRASH THAT KILLED 62 PARTLY CAUSED BY NEARLY DECADE-LONG EQUIPMENT FAILUREThe crash happened in an uninhabited forested area in the northeast of the country around 2 p.m. A search team was looking for the crew, the ministry statement said.
A Croatian MiG-21 military plane crashed during a training flight on Tuesday. The crash happened in an uninhabited forest and a search team is still looking for the crew. Pictured is the road to Croatia is seen through trees in Velika Kladusa, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
(Pierre Crom/Getty Images)No other details were immediately available.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Finland must lift arms embargo on Turkey in order to join NATO, according to Turkish foreign minister

Finland must lift arms embargo on Turkey in order to join NATO, according to Turkish foreign minister

Finland must publicly declare that it’s lifting an arms embargo on Turkey to win Ankara’s approval for its membership to NATO, the Turkish foreign minister said Tuesday.Mevlut Cavusoglu made the comments ahead of visit by Finland’s Defense Minister Antti Kaikkonen, who will be discussing his nation’s bid to join the military alliance with his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar on Thursday.”The Finnish defense minister’s visit to Turkey is important because we have not yet heard a statement from Finland saying they’ve lifted their arms embargo against us,” Cavusoglu told reporters. “We’re expecting such a statement from there.”TURKEY’S ERDOGAN SUGGESTS SWEDEN, FINLAND SHOULD JOIN NATO AT SEPARATE TIMESSweden and Finland abandoned their longstanding policies of military nonalignment and applied for membership in the alliance after Russian forces invaded Ukraine in February, amid concerns that Russia might target them next.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, right, and NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, left, attend a press conference in Istanbul, Turkey, on Nov. 3, 2022. Sweden and Finland have fulfilled their obligations to Turkey and should be allowed entry into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization NATO, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Thursday. 
(Shadati/Xinhua via Getty Images)TURKEY SUMMONS GREEK AMBASSADOR TO PROTEST DEPLOYMENT OF ARMORED VEHICLES TO DEMILITARIZED GREEK ISLANDSBut NATO-member Turkey has been holding up Sweden and Finland’s bids to join the military alliance, accusing the two Nordic countries of ignoring threats to Turkey from Kurdish militants and other groups it considers as terrorists and pressing them to crackdown on these groups. Ankara has also been pressuring the two countries to lift a de-facto ban on weapons sales to Turkey.Sweden announced in September that it was removing an arms embargo it had imposed on Ankara in 2019 following Turkey’s military operation against the Kurdish militia in Syria.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPTurkey, which has accused the Nordic countries of ignoring threats against it from Kurdish militants and other groups that it considers as terrorists, has not endorsed their accession. The parliaments of Turkey and Hungary have yet to ratify their applications. The 28 other NATO member states have already done so.

Suspect silent after knife attack on girls that killed one

Suspect silent after knife attack on girls that killed one

BERLIN — A judge ordered a 27-year-old Eritrean man to be held in jail following a knife attack on two students in southwestern Germany in which a 14-year-old girl died and a 13-year-old girl was seriously injured, authorities said Tuesday.The man, who is accused of attacking the teens as they headed to school in the southwestern town of Illerkirchberg, declined to speak when he appeared before a judge at the hospital where he was treated for injuries following his arrest shortly after Monday’s attack. He was transferred to a prison hospital, prosecutors said.Investigators have so far found “no information whatsoever pointing to a political or religious motivation for this crime,” said Thomas Strobl, the interior minister for Baden-Wuerttemberg state.Two other men detained by police Monday have been released, prosecutors said.The morning attack on the two girls as they were walking to catch a bus to school caused widespread shock and anger.The girl who died had family roots in Turkey, and Turkey’s ambassador in Germany visited the girl’s family in Illerkirchberg on Tuesday to offer his condolences, the Anadolu Agency reported. He was scheduled to visit the site where she died to leave flowers.

Afghan women will be allowed to take high school graduation exams, according to the Taliban

Afghan women will be allowed to take high school graduation exams, according to the Taliban

Afghan girls will be allowed to take their high school graduation exams this week, an official and documents from the Taliban government indicated Tuesday — even though they have been banned from classrooms since the former insurgents took over the country last year.According to two documents from the Taliban ministry of education, obtained by The Associated Press, the decision applies to 31 out of Afghanistan’s 34 provinces where the winter school break starts in late December.Ehsanullah Kitab, head of the Kabul education department, said the exams would take place on Wednesday. He provided no other details and it was not clear how many teenage girls would be able to take the exam.One of the documents, from the Kabul education department, said the exams would last from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. A second document, signed by Habibullah Agha, the education minister who took office in September, said the tests would be held in 31 Afghan provinces. The three excluded provinces — Kandahar, Helmand and Nimroz — have a different timetable for the school year and high school graduation exams typically take place there later.AFGHAN WOMEN SHOW SOLIDARITY WITH IRANIAN PROTESTERS, FACE HARSH TALIBAN CRACKDOWN”This is ridiculous,” said 18-year-old Najela from Kabul, giving only her first name for fear of reprisals. She would now be in twelfth grade and eligible for the exam. “We spent a whole year under tension and stress and haven’t read a single page of our textbooks.”
Afghan girls attend a school in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Aug 11, 2022. The Taliban announced on Dec. 6, 2022, that Afghan girls will be allowed to take their high school graduation exams this week.
(AP Photo/Ebrahim Noroozi, File)”How can we possibly take an exam after a year and a half that the Taliban have kept school doors closed,” she added.The Taliban overran Afghanistan in August 2021 as U.S. and NATO forces were in the final weeks of their pullout from the country after 20 years of war. Despite initially promising a more moderate rule and women’s and minority rights, they have restricted rights and freedoms and widely implemented their harsh interpretation of Islamic law, or Sharia.They have banned girls from middle school and high school, restricted women from most employment, and ordered them to wear head-to-toe clothing in public. Women are also banned from parks, gyms, and funfairs.WORLD ‘LESS SAFE’ WITH AFGHANISTAN UNDER TALIBAN: ‘HOSTILE MEDIEVAL DEATH CULT’ COMPLICATES GLOBAL SECURITYWomen have not been denied access from universities under the Taliban and the implication of the latest development is that Afghan girls who obtain a high school diploma after Wednesday’s exam would be able to apply for universities.A Kabul high school principal said she was informed that twelfth grade girls will have just one day to take exams in 14 subjects, with 10 questions from each subject. The principal, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals, said most girl students lacked textbooks.”Giving an exam is meaningless,” she said.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPThe students and their female teachers will all have to wear the hijab, or headscarf, under the Taliban dress code for women, and cellphones are banned during the exam. Girls who cannot attend or who fail Wednesday’s exam would be allowed to retake the test in mid-March, after the winter vacation.The Taliban treatment of women and girls in Afghanistan has come under heavy criticism. Earlier this month, a team of U.N. experts said it may amount to a crime against humanity and should be investigated and prosecuted under international law, an allegation rejected by the Taliban.

Leader of Albanian opposition center-right Democratic Party attacked at anti-government protest

Leader of Albanian opposition center-right Democratic Party attacked at anti-government protest

The leader of the Albanian opposition center-right Democratic Party was attacked Tuesday during an anti-government protest held near a summit of European Union leaders and their counterparts from the Western Balkans in the Albanian capital.Sali Berisha, a 78-year-old former president and prime minister, was leading hundreds of protesters walking toward the summit area accompanied by former President Ilir Meta when a man came out of the crowd and punched him in the face.The attacker was immediately subdued by bodyguards. Witnesses saw Berisha with a bloodied face.It is not clear who the attacker was or the reason for the attack.ALBANIA CUTS DIPLOMATIC TIES WITH IRAN FOLLOWING CYBERATTACKS, THREATSPolice said in a statement that the 31-year old suspect who was taken into custody had suffered from “psychiatric irregularities” and had previously faced charges involving acts of violence and drug trafficking.The opposition was protesting to the alleged corruption of Prime Minister Edi Rama, which they also blame for the country’s cost-of-living crisis and the exodus of young Albanians leaving for a better life in Western European countries.Berisha directly accused Rama of the attack, saying he wanted to stop the opposition from staging the protest.
Sali Berisha, the 78-year-old leader of the Albanian opposition center-right Democratic Party, speaks after he was attacked during an anti-government protest held near a summit of European Union leaders in Tirana, Albania, on Dec. 6, 2022. 
(AP Photo/Franc Zhurda)Rama denounced the attack, saying “violence has never been the tool to address any issue or concern” and that the law should deal with the attacker.ALBANIA’S PRIME MINISTER ACCUSES BRITAIN OF ‘CALCULATED ATTACK’ AFTER BEING BLAMED FOR MIGRANT CROSSINGSAlbania has seen more than an 8% rise in prices this year, especially for basic food and fuel following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.Rama says his Cabinet has kept inflation low compared with double-digit inflation elsewhere in Europe, and has noted that the government subsidizes electricity for families and small businesses.Berisha’s party has been plagued by infighting after U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken last year barred Berisha and his close relatives from entering the U.S. for “corrupt acts that undermined democracy” during his 2005-2013 tenure as prime minister. Britain did the same this year.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPEU leaders and their Western Balkan counterparts are in Tirana Tuesday for talks aimed at strengthening their partnership as Russia’s war in Ukraine threatens to reshape the geopolitical balance in the region.